Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
06 Mar 2004
I am up in Zimbabwe at the moment and went to the doctor as I was having a very bad chest pain (sternum area) I was sent for blood tests and it came back positive for rheumatoid arthritis. I was back in South Africa, and went to see my own Dr who ordered blood tests and I was negative for it. The range in S.A. was 0 - 20 negative I was 20. Do different countries use different ranges, so I dont now which to believe I still have the pain.
These test must also be interpreted with the clinical findings. Pain in the sternum area is not typical of RA. The reference ranges can vary slightly depending on the test kit and instrument used. I suggest that you consult a physician to exclude other causes of chest pain.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- 'I've seen the worst of Aids, TB, but nothing compares to Covid' - a community health worker's story
- Some patients experience post-traumatic stress disorder after severe Covid-19
- New study shows how speaking while infected with Covid-19 can potentially spread the virus
- Scientists find link between lower daily temperatures and higher rate of transmission of Covid-19
- A woman died not long after getting Covid-19 from transplanted lungs
- The ANC may need to destroy itself to rid SA of state capture, analyst says
- EXPLAINED | Unfit to stand trial insight amid furore over anti-lockdown protester
- OPINION | National Minimum Wage - even more of a tightrope walk after Covid-19
- Adriaan Basson | The people of Gqeberha deserve more than a new name from the ANC
- More booze, bigger gatherings allowed as South Africa moves to alert Level 1
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9365 votes
67% - 19339 votes