Ask an expert

26 Nov 2004

rota cuff injury while playing squash
Hi - my husband hurt his shoulder while playing squash - he heard a strange popping noise when it happened. It has now been 3 months and he is unable to lift his arm above his head or behind his back. We are currently on contract in Nigeria with no access to physio's - can you help? Thanks Carol
Answer 313 views
rehabilitation after injury

01 Jan 0001

Rotator cuff injury

Carol, you need to get a diagnosis from a doctor with regards to what may have happened to his shoulder before he begins any exercise.
The popping noise may have been a ligament or tendon rupture or tear, but without evaluating the shoulder it is impossible to diagnose accurately. Once you have the diagnosis then he will need to see a biokineticist or a physio in order to get some shoulder exercises to regain range of motion and strength of the scapular stabilisers and rotator cuff muscles. If this is not possible then maybe you can try accessing the Internet for more information or contact us at so we can find out more detail about the injury.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9362 votes
67% - 19311 votes