Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
23 Feb 2004
Severe migraines for 25 years
I am trying to find a neurologist in Durban area (PMB also ok) who can perform an operation now offered by Dr Shevel at the headache clinic in JHB. As it is impossible for me to get to the headache clinic as soon as I get a migraine I really need someone closer to Dbn. The operation procedure he does (article in the You) is to tie off or burn closed a few of the veins in the scalp. To determine which veins needs to be tied off though you have to see the surgeon when you have pain. He then establishes which vein needs to be closed off by pressing on it, stopping the blood supply and blood pressure there thereby stopping the pain. Please could you assist me in advising whether there are ANY surgeons in KZN able to perform this operation.
To the best of my knowledge Dr. Shevel is the only person that performs this procedure. Most Neurologists do not approve of this procedure for the treatment of migraine. There are various other options in migraine prevention that include medication, physiotherapy, acupuncture and aromatherapy.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- How to make sense of nutrition labels
- J&J Covid-19 vaccine: Are blood clots and the pausing of SA’s rollout a cause for major concern?
- Covid-19 patients have a higher risk of in-hospital morbidity and mortality after surgery
- Some form of long-term symptom lingers in one in 10 who had mild Covid-19, new study finds
- OPINION | Change your diet to change your cancer risk
- 'Hlophe should not only be impeached, he should be put in prison' - Kriegler
- Family finally gets justice 10 years after their three-year-old boy drowned at a North West lodge
- Meet Soweto's 'cemetery navigators' - the men attending to dilapidated graves
- High risks or picky banks: Why is microfinance not taking off in SA?
- SATURDAY PROFILE | Judge Dennis Davis: ‘To accuse the judiciary of being captured is outrageous’
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9433 votes
68% - 19977 votes