Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
26 Jul 2006
Tiny spots on skin which itch and spread
My daughter is 6 years old. She started with a couple of spots under her arm which itched a lot. Took her to the doctor who froze them off and diagnosed it as something molluscus. Said they spread and its better to freeze them off now while there are a few. She was fine for about 6 months. Now they have started again and from scratching she has also got a bit of excema. I have tried creams and now see that they are spreading onto her tummy. Do you have any advice for this condition?
The name of the infection is molluscum contagiosum and is caused by a virus. Eczema may be present in the vicinity of the lesions. Persons with asthma/hay fever/eczema are more prone to develop the lesions. The following treatment methods are available: freezing with liquid nitrogen, removal with a needle, cantharadin liquid, potassium hydroxide liquid, and imiquimod=Aldara. There is no scientific evidence for the superiority of one of these treatments. Keep in mind that lesions may also disappear spontaneously. There you have it. See your doctor.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Why South Africa stopped making vaccines
- Cloth masks can be as effective as surgical masks against Covid-19, new study reports
- How rare is very rare? Your questions about blood clots – answered
- High doses of vitamin D have no effect on severe Covid infection - study
- Moderna’s experimental booster shot protects against variants first discovered in SA and Brazil
- THE ESKOM FILES | La bella vita: The lavish house Eskom exec Hlakudi built with 'bribes'
- 'SA's variant has more mutations' - Prof Karim not overly concerned about India variant
- 'Nothing concrete so far, let's stop' - Zondo to former Free State DG during testimony
- Karyn Maughan | Chief Justice Mogoeng's exit: How will the judiciary be impacted?
- SA's 'global influence' shown in US Covid-19 vaccine IP waiver, Ramaphosa says
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9465 votes
68% - 20209 votes