Ask an expert

27 Sep 2009

top of foot - shin

Good day sir.

I am 27 years of age and fairly healthy. During my younger years I partook in swimming, nippers, waterpolo and biathlon competitions. Ever since leaving school I have tried to run but shin splints alwys gets the better of me. I play squash every now and then but my shins whilst playing do not hurt. Only when I run for about 5 minutes do my shins start paining.

I am wanting to partake in the triathlons (small ones and slowly work my way up.), should I just '  continue to start running and maybe, just maybe my shins will get stronger to a point when they no longer hurt. Depending on your advise, I will see a specialist as I am eager to run again as I was extremely good at long distance running in school.

Answer 308 views
Foot expert

01 Jan 0001

Dear Brad

With a history of recurring shin splints it is best to have a biomechanical assessment of the lower limb. Shin splints are often caused by over pronation or arch collapse. I suggest you see a podiatrist with an interest in running injuries. He or she should be able to give you advice on the correct shoes and possibly a corrective insole.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9476 votes
68% - 20323 votes