Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
13 Jul 2006
I suffer from Urticura (spell!) and have since 1998. In 2001 I was put on Fluoxetine due to panic attacks & also on Zyrtec for the itch. The itch has now got worse and I am finding that I need to take 2 X Zyrtec per day. I was once given the advice to find out what the cause of the itch is before trying to go off the fluoxetine but I honestly don't know where to start! Should I be consulting with a dermotologist or a dietician or ? Also, does the long term use of fluoxetine have an effect on your memory?
Urticaria is divided into two groups-acute urticaria which lasts for less than 6 weeks and chronic urticaria which lasts for longer than 6 weeks. The causes of chronic urticaria include medications, pressure, heat, cold, and, autoimmunity. Very rarely foodstuffs may cause urticaria. In at least 50% of cases no cause can be found. Chronic urticaria should be mannaged by a dermatologist.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Type 2 diabetes: Sitting can cause problems with blood sugar levels, so get up and move
- How quickly do we become unfit?
- Covid-19 virus a triple threat: Study exposes how it outsmarts the immune system
- Mixing Pfizer and AstraZeneca Covid vaccines increases mild side effects, early results show
- Covid-19: Do I still need to wear a mask when vaccinated, and other questions
- Questions about stability of Covid-19 platform on Day 1 of second phase vaccinations
- EXPLAINER | 5 things you need to know about phase two vaccinations
- THE ESKOM FILES | Coming home to roost: How big business helped fund Eskom exec’s chicken farm
- Karyn Maughan | After demanding his trial start, will Zuma finally plead to the case against him?
- Wandile Sihlobo | Grain production could be better than expected this year
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9476 votes
68% - 20327 votes