Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
08 Jul 2005
warning signs of aortic aneurism
I have heard of two people who died due to undiagnosed aortic aneurism. One of them had been told by his doctor he had indigestion. Could occasional numbness in the arms be a sign?
An aortic aneurysm is easily missed if the doctor doesn’t think of it as a possible diagnosis. Symptoms suggesting a heart attack, in the presence of a normal-looking ECG should ring loud alarm bells, especially if the person is hypertensive. Unfortunately, there is a lot of overlap between the symptoms of “indigestion” and those of heart problems. Consider the term “Heartburn” – its this very type of pain which can be diagnostically confusing.
Numbness in the arms could be of cardiac origin, but also of orthopaedic, or neuro-muscular origin. Obviously, the more important one to exclude is the cardiac one, but once that is done, a good neurologist will quickly be able to make a diagnosis.
If you are in doubt about an aortic aneurysm, a Trans-Oesophageal Echocardiogram, and a good CT or MRI scan will give a definite undisputable diagnosis. This will need to be arranged via a cardiologist.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Covid then vs Covid now: The emergence of variants and how the virus has evolved
- Napping in the afternoon can improve memory and alertness – here’s why
- Baby infected with coronavirus in the womb - new study
- Blood type A may increase Covid-19 risk, study finds
- Having trouble sleeping? Here’s the science on 3 traditional bedtime remedies
- Rogue Crime Intelligence cops 'bug' News24 investigative journalist
- ANALYSIS | Andre de Ruyter accused of SA’s irredeemable sin as he shuts down Eskom patronage networks
- Karyn Maughan | Hard to say I’m sorry: Mogoeng's apology ruling demands putting duty before faith
- Mbalula's comments indicate the ANC is far from united in bid to oust Public Protector
- Adriaan Basson | Trial by social media - the tragic Lindsay Dentlinger story
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9380 votes
67% - 19435 votes