Ask an expert

16 Jul 2005

pain in head/jaw/eye after injury
Hi, i urgently need some assistance. In March this year i had a nasty fall at the office whereby i injured my left side of my body including my left arm and leg and neck. i did not bump my head. just injured the arm neck and leg quite badly. 2 weeks after the fall i started experiencing pain in my left eye and left temple. it became real bad that i started experiecing loss of vision in the left eye. it was then that i visited the opthomologist who noticed some infamation behind the left eye. i was referred to a neurologist who sent me for an MRI. the results indicated some CSF build up around the left optic nerve, but according to the neuro-radiologist, the build-up was insignificant. thereafter the battle began where my entire left side became affected, the headaches in the left side of my head increased and i live with severe nausea. i went for further scans of the neck and spine and blood tests as well as a lumbar puncture, but all seems normal. the doctors are baffled and have put me on anti-depressants and a course of cortizone. but to no relief. i also experience shooting pains in the left eye, left side of my face including the upper and lower jaw. the left side of my body also lacks sensation compared to the right side. the doctors claim that in time it will pass. the head pains in the left side of my face are excruciating and i have been advised not to take any more painkillers and i became quite reliant on them. the doctors were very reluctant to question me on the fall i had, and even mentioned that what i was going through is as a result of stress. this angered me. i do not know what to do at this point, as i cannot partake in my normal activities and have been booked off work for the past month and a half. im scared that il be returning to work with no relief. the pain remains on the left side and has become unbearable, more particularly the left side of my head and jaw, and eye. at night the pain intensifies when i put my head down. please advise me on what i can do. im a 26 year old female.
Answer 395 views

01 Jan 0001

I would seriously recommend you obtain a second opinion from another Neurologist. Have they examined your neck ??
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.