Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
22 Jun 2020
Chronic coughing for 5 yrs
I had a severe flu 5yrs ago. I developed rheumatoid arthritis and have fits of coughing since. Docs tried zantac,tums, sinus rinses. Certain environmental circumstances,like heavy perfume,smoke in the air,certain flower fragrances. ,triggers coughing fits(sometimes til I throw up). An allergy testing showed that I’m not allergic to common things. In the mornings I do have a lot of post nasal drip...sleeping is ok though. Some relief with Delsum and cold and sinus Advil ....nothing I can count on...
There are many causes of chronic cough, especially if you have rheumatoid arthritis. Post-nasal drip itself is a important cause of chronic cough that could explain most of your symptoms. Other common causes may include acid coming up the food pipe (GORD). The possibility of lung involvement from rheumatoid arthritis cannot be excluded, including other conditions like asthma. I suggest that you consult a respiratory specialist who can work through these possibilities and provide a sensible way forward.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Pfizer shot working well, but latest data from Israel suggests 3rd shot may benefit older people
- Five nutrition mistakes you make when you start exercising
- Living with long Covid: ‘Eight months after being on a ventilator, I'm still not okay’
- How often should we exercise to get in shape?
- 10 ways to make yourself poop first thing in the morning
- 'Audacity': Four years into life sentence, Carl Schoombie's killer applies for medical parole
- ANALYSIS | Food prices are soaring. Here's how SA's top food producers are keeping up
- The EFF's Vuyani Pambo on politics, his religious upbringing and why he led #FeesMustFall
- Best friends collide in mid-air parachute crash in Mpumalanga – with devastating results
- John Matisonn | Lobbyists target Biden’s climate plan
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
30% - 9645 votes
70% - 22657 votes