Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
26 Feb 2020
Recently came off of 2 weeks bed rest due to pneumonia
This started with a visit to the ER with what was diagnosed as a pleurisy. A couple days later the pain subsided and the brunt of the pneumonia kicked in. Almost two weeks of essentially being bed-ridden and barely eating, I finally started to feel better. Now it has been a couple of weeks since this and I am noticing some odd issues. The first is that both of my legs constantly feel tired, and one of them often times feels like it is falling asleep. At night I will also experience cramps on the side of my calf muscle. In addition to this I constantly feel...woozy would be the best word for me to describe. The biggest change that I have noticed is that I lost a significant amount of weight while I was sick, and am now at my lightest in over 20 years. I am diabetic and am wondering if the sudden weight loss could be causing what I am experiencing as I generally feel as if my entire system has been thrown out of whack.
As you said, you have been very ill and your whole immune system took a lot of strain. You will definitely feel tired, woozy, exhausted and a lot of other things as well. It is important to just discuss your diabetic medication with your doctor, because the weight loss can influence the absorption of the medication, and you might need less medication. Good luck and I hope that you feel better soon.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Many of us overestimate our exercise levels – here’s how to calculate how much you really do
- Over half of adults unvaccinated for Covid-19 fear needles – here’s what’s proven to help
- Some people would rather endure physical pain than having to think too hard, study reveals
- Encouraging study shows Pfizer’s Covid-19 vaccine protective against variants, including Beta in SA
- Covid-19 may create hearing and balance disorders, new study shows
- Tembisa 10: As parents clash over birth, Independent Media says Rampedi 'only one who can comment'
- Mabuza explains why failing municipalities 'cannot continuously be blamed on apartheid'
- Desperate KwaSizabantu member turned to abusive dad for help to escape mission
- PICS | ANC financial woes: Staffers reject looming retrenchments
- ANALYSIS | Bulls providing SA clues for the Europe adventure is a poor train of thought
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
31% - 9518 votes
69% - 20819 votes