Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
14 Jul 2020
Stomach Ulcer, shoulder and chest pain
Hi Dr Heidi Can you please explain and advise. When my stomach ulcer acts out, I usually have a gnawing feeling at the top of my stomach. Why however do I also get shoulder and chest pain along with it? How will I know the difference between cardiac and gastric issues? Heart disease does run in my family, but I am pretty sure the pain symptoms I have now are due to my ulcer. Thank you.
The shoulder and chest pain that you experience is also known as 'referred pain'. Some organs are supplied by the same set of nerves, and when, for example, you experience pain in the stomach due to the ulcer, you can also experience pain in the shoulders and chest. I would, however, urge you to have tests done to make sure that your cardiovascular system is functioning well, especially because you have heart disease in the family. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Why South Africa stopped making vaccines
- How rare is very rare? Your questions about blood clots – answered
- Are chemicals shrinking your penis and depleting your sperm? Here’s what the evidence really says
- High doses of vitamin D have no effect on severe Covid infection - study
- ‘We have to be alert, not alarmed’ says KRISP director about B.1.617 variant identified in India
- THE ESKOM FILES | La bella vita: The lavish house Eskom exec Hlakudi built with 'bribes'
- 'SA's variant has more mutations' - Prof Karim not overly concerned about India variant
- Sifiso Skenjana | If government wants our trust, getting the budget right is a good start
- 'Nothing concrete so far, let's stop' - Zondo to former Free State DG during testimony
- INSIDE LABOUR | Covid-19 didn't cause union failures - the unions did it themselves
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9467 votes
68% - 20215 votes