Ask an expert

31 Jul 2007

My sister is 28 years old and has never had great skin. She had a facial the other day and broke out really badly which has done nothing for her self confidence. She doesn't have spots all over her face but they mainly seem to stay around her chin area. I've heard this is to do with hormones. Does she need to be prescribed medication or can she get something over the counter. She doesn't help by covering herself in foundation etc which l dont really blame her for but l'm sure this is just a vicious cycle. What can l do? I know how terrible it is to be concious of your skin and l just want her to be confident. Is there anything in her diet that would help. Sorry to get carried away!!!
Answer 351 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Amelie
She could try taking Vit B5 supplements, and using a topical antibiotic or a systemic antibiotic in low doses - she needs a prescription from her GP. Only if this does not help one would consider something like Hormonal tablets or Roaccutane.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.