Ask an expert

26 Jul 2007

My dad is currently living in a retirement fascility that caters for alcoholics. The place has unfortunately moved to an unsavoury part of town where I cannot visit him and expect to make it out of there safely. We are currently looking for alternative accommodation for him but it worries me that in a normal old age home he will drink non-stop (like he did before I put him where he is today) and will be kicked out. I heard from a friend that I can have him get an implant agains alcohol abuse. My questions are:
1. Where do I find a doctor to perform it?
2. How much will it cost?
3. How long does it work for before we have to get another implant?
4. How safe is it? (I don't want to force him to get an implant and should he drink anyway I'm responsible for his death!)
5. What are the side-effects?
Answer 354 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Friendly Witch

Thank you for visiting

Antabuse can be prescribed and implanted by a GP. I am not sure about the exact cost of the implant but know that it is in the region of R600.00 to R700.00 per implant. The effects of Antabuse usually lasts for a period of six months and can be repeated as often as needed. A number of tablets are implanted under the skin, normally in the buttocks area.

Antabuse will cause adverse reaction when alcohol is used, i.e. flushing, throbbing headache, nausea and vomitting, severe thirst, dizziness, blurred vision and confusion. Sometimes cardiac arrhythmias will occur. In severe cases, liver failure, as well as heart attacks may occur.

It is recommended that it is only used as an adjunc to supportive and psychotherapeutic treatment in motivated patients.

The contra-indications of Antabuse are the use of metronidazole, paradehyde, any alcohol-containing products (mouth-washes), severe cardiac disease, psychosis and hypersensitivity.

I trust that the above information will be of assistance.

Good luck with your Father.


Dr Anrich Burger
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9362 votes
67% - 19320 votes