Ask an expert

17 Jul 2006

Am I disease free?
Hi CyberDoc,

I would like to ensure, before engaging in sexual intercourse, that I do not have any diseases that my girlfriend could contract.

Where should I go to find out and who should I speak to so that I can get the relevant tests done.

Thanks in advance

Answer 403 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Peter
This is very considerate of you. Your GP can do the blood tests for you or your nearest municipal clinic or provincial hospital. You should check for STD's, HIV, Herpes, HPV and Hepatitis B and C. However, your girlfriend should do likewise. If you are not 100% sure that you both will be true to this sexual relationship you should anyway use a condom to protect yourself from Herpes, HIV, Hepatitis B and Human Papilloma virus infections.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9425 votes
68% - 19881 votes