Ask an expert

20 Jul 2006

I'm too embarrassed to go to the doctor - maybe you can help me? I don't even know how to start. I have a small flap of skin on the edge of my anus. I used to think that its a pile but its not painful at all, and everyone always says that piles are extremely painful. I have always (since childhood) been very constipated and I'm so used to it that I hardly notice it any more. However, periods of constipation are always followed by periods of diarrea (for a day or so) and after a while it gets quite raw and I think there are small fissures. (I always use good quality white 2 ply toilet paper). I have also noticed that when I use antibacterial soap (like Dettol or Savlon) or wear nylon panties, the skin gets raw. I have very sensitive skin, am I just allergic? Or is this normal? ( I am a female, 36, 2 kids - both ceasers) I remember that when I was a kid, I often had blood in my faesces and I had some sort of procedure to solve the problem when I was 5 years old. Please advise - I don't want to go to the doctor unless its really necessary. PS - I have a NORMAL sex life, no kinky stuff
Answer 3,303 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Shy
You probably have a anal skin tag - which is easily removed under anaestetic and will never return. It is not dangerous. Ask your doctor to refer you to a surgeon.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9360 votes
67% - 19293 votes