Ask an expert

09 Mar 2004

Any Idea What I've Got???
I have several symptoms. Firstly, I have bronchitis which is not going away. I have been on two courses of antibiotics and I still have the cough etc. Then I a really bad headache bordering on migraine, I feel dizzy, am light sensitive and nauseous. I have pain in my cheek (sinus area) which extends to my head and down into my jaw. I have pain in my neck and shoulders (feels almost like muscle tension). I have also got pain in my right forearm and left hip (feels like it is in the actual bone NOT in the joint). I have a numbness (tingling) feeling which has started in my hands and feet. On top of this I have IBS, diagnosed about 10 years ago. Recently, I have also started suffering from symptoms similar to PMS which I have never suffered from before. I get very emotional and have ovarian cramps during both menstruation and ovulation. I am also extremly tired. So much so that I feel like I am going to pass out and I struggle to keep my eyes open.

I have been on antibiotics twice to clear up the bronchial infection. I have had my thyroid checked. Blood pressure and urine normal. Vit - B injections have not worked. No aneamia.

Please do you have any ideas as to what could be the cause of my symptoms. My doctor has no idea where to go from here as he feels there must be an underlying cause which he is not seeing but he also feels it can't be anything major like cancer etc as I have a healthy body weight and besides the symptoms look quite healthy.
Answer 406 views

01 Jan 0001

Amy, it might of course be a persistent infection, so the first would be to have a full blood count done to see if it is the case. If it is, stronger antibiotics are the only option.
It might also be that you suffer from something like fibromyalgia syndrome and a careful history should reveal if it’s the case.
The cramps might be due to the IBS, but it might be due to something different like endometriosis. The thing to remember is that there is no law that says that you can’t have more than one disease/disorder at the same time. Maybe the best would be to see a specialist physician and have it sorted out. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9464 votes
68% - 20193 votes