Ask an expert

18 Sep 2009

arthritis or gout??
Dear Doc, please can you tell me the difference between the two - i have sore fingers mainly on the left hand but right hand slightly - toes have burning sensation - but not swelling on either hands or feet - no redness either, just pain....or am i on the wrong path of thinking?? thanks for your precious time.
Answer 425 views

01 Jan 0001


Gout usually effects a single joint, is acutely painful and the severity of the pain will soon drive you to the doctor. Arthritis usually effects the smaller joints of the hands. The symptoms are symetric, characterised by painful stiff swollen joints.

I suggest that you consult your doctor for blood tests and x-rays of your hands and feet. This will shed more light on the type of arthritis causing your symptoms.


Dr Anrich Burger
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9362 votes
67% - 19306 votes