Ask an expert

05 Apr 2006

Dear Doc

I hope I am in the correct forum. My grandchild is 6 years old, and he is a very lively little boy. My daughter is a single 23yrs mom and she lives alone with her son. Trouble is .... he has a very strong personality and wears her down, she has tried everything and even "calming drops" which she got from someone. Nothing works... he cannot concentrate very well and is always busy. He gets bored very quickly, argues a lot with her. Smacks help - but not much. She has got a lot tougher lately for her own sanity...
Do you think he might need something like RITLIN (SP ?) or what can you recommend. Please reply .. she really needs help.
Answer 422 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Gran
Please let him be evaluated by a occupational therapist for children. She will be able to give your daughter the correct guidance - sometimes they need exercises to help them concentrate or a specific area of the brain needs to be developed. She will also be able to tell you if Ritalin is really needed or not.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.