Ask an expert

06 Aug 2008

Blackouts pls help!!
I hope anyone can give some advice. My father-in-law had a blackout about a year ago. He went to the doc who said it could have been a light stroke but he needs to go for tests at the hospital. He never went and we gave up trying to get him there. We found out yesterday that he had another one on Saturday. My husband' s mom was trying to hide it from us but we found out from other family members. His ribbs got hurt on the last blackout and again he refuses to go to the doctor or hospital for a checkup. My mom-in-law also doesnt try to get him to go. The excuse they have is that it is only the ribs that got hurt and the doctor won' t be able to help with that. They say it should get better in time. We can' t figure out why they don' t want to go. They won' t listen to anyone. We have a 5 month old baby and out of desperation even told my father in law that we will keep our son away from them if they don' t do anything. I know it is wrong to say that but what can we do???!!!

We are also trying to find out what causes it. His mom and dad drink and smoke a lot. They overdo it a bit. They drink brandy and whisky every day after work (not one or two glasses) and over weekends even more and they both smoke about 30 sigarettes each a day. Could this have something to do with the blackouts?

I don' t take my son near them when they smoke and drink and they are not allowed to touch him if they haven' t washed their hands after smoking so we are doing our side to keep healthy.

Hope anyone can give some advice soon.

We are desperate for advice....
Answer 414 views

01 Jan 0001

Hi Jenn
One can not determine what caused a blackout without doing some tests - and a person who smokes a lot is at higher risk for strokes. Older people often avoid hospitals due to cost or long waiting periods or because they are scared of what they will find out when they do the tests. Try taking small steps - take him to a GP and let them do his blood pressure, cholesterol and liverfunction tests first. Then ask the doctor to book ECG, sonar or whatever is needed a few weeks from that.
Dr Bets
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.