Ask an expert

26 Nov 2012

I have a friedn who is HIV Positive. She has complained of having boils. when one dissapeares another one popd up,how can she be helped. She had been to teh GP but isnt getting helped cos they keep coming back in different parts of the body. What can she try from the chemist.
Answer 282 views

01 Jan 0001


It is important that she attends a HIV clinic to determine her CD4 count, as well as viral load. HIV causes opportunistic infections, like in her case, a folliculitis. The skin infection has to be treated with an extended course of oral antibiotics. In the interim, she can apply Bactroban ointment.


Dr Anrich
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.