Ask an expert

05 Dec 2005

Burning sensation
Please Doc
I need to know if I need to worry. For the last couple of months I feel a burning sensation in my penis everytime I sort of get aroused. The buring sensation then increases to such an extend that I need to go an pee a couple of times. The burning sensation increases in a period of about an half an hour to the extend that I need to put an icepack on my genitals. It helps a great deal in soothing the buring sensation. If me and the wife make love on such a particular day that this happens, it burns like hell when I ejaculate, to such an extend that I start to sweat and needs to use the icepack again. The feeling then dissapears for a couple of days and then returns again. I went to a uroloog a couple of years ago and he did some sort of operations, his explanation was than there was an obstruction that prevented me from urinating ptoperly. That did not help and he gave me some antibiotics. That did not help either and I left it there. I dealt with this problem for the last couple of years, 2 or 3 years now, but it tends to happen more frequently now. If I am in a restaurant and the burning sensation begins, I know, I must get home immediatly to get hold of the icepack.
As you can see this problem starts to hamper my day to day life now. The burning sensations get so terible that it feels if I wanrts to pass out. I can mention that I had a vasectomy about 14 years ago. Please Doc, any advise on what can be the problem and what should I tell my uroloog when I see him.
Answer 431 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Me,
You should go back to your urologist. It could be that you have chronic prostatitis - which is inflammation of the prostate gland that lies around the urine tube. The vasectomy would not be the cause of your symptoms. You should tell your urologist how many times a day you normally go to the toilet, how the flow of the urine is ( slow, fast, difficult to start, dribbeling afterwards etc) any leakage of urine, blood or pus coming out, problems with erections if any,and whether you see blood in your sperm. Go with a slightly full bladder so that he can take an urine sample too.
I hope you get hold of him soon - it can't go on like this!
All of the best
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9463 votes
68% - 20183 votes