Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
11 Jan 2005
Can throat infection lead to pelvic bacterial infections
I have a bacterial infection in within my pelvic area, being treated with antibiotics. My gynae has done a full blood count, urine test and cervical swab - all show no clear indication of this area being the root of the problem. However, I have had a sore throat with swollen glands for the same time as my infection and he says that this could be the problem. Please advise if this is a viral infection or other.
SN, it isn’t common for throat infections to cause pelvic infection (or vice versa), but I suppose it is possible. It might also be that the pelvic infection taxed your immune system up to the point where a throat infection was able to develop. I can’t tell you whether it is a viral infection from this side of the screen, but it is another possibility. If it doesn’t clear up within the next couple of days the best would be to see your doctor. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Covid-19: Does exercising really reduce the risk?
- How Taiwan beat Covid-19 – new study reveals clues to its success
- Efforts to reduce coronavirus spread should focus on airborne transmission, not surfaces
- Is it the vaccine technology, used by AstraZeneca and J&J, causing blood clots? No evidence yet
- Psychologists find a key reason for 'Zoom fatigue' and why women are more susceptible
- Cape Town fire: UCT working on urgent safety plan to prevent future fire hazards
- Cape Town fire: Did 'heritage' trees and 'ember attacks' outsmart SANParks' fire preparation?
- Gwede Mantashe, Thandi Modise not keen on parliamentary oversight committee on Presidency
- 'I was fulfilling a higher purpose' - Rabbi saves Torah from burning UCT building
- Did Tokyo Sexwale fall for a global conspiracy theory?
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9436 votes
68% - 20006 votes