Ask an expert

29 Jul 2010

Hi there Doc,

Is there anyway that one can test for cancer in the body. My mom died of cancer and I was wondering if one could actually do yearly tests to pick up if anything is present somewhere?

Answer 433 views

01 Jan 0001

Hallo Tinky
There is no general test but certain cancers (e.g. breast/colon cancer) runs in families and you can discuss with your doctor the screening tests you can take on a regular basis, depending on your family history and risk. One should always go for yearly papsmears, breast examinations and the men for prostate examinations after 50 years of age.
Dr Bets
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9438 votes
68% - 20022 votes