Ask an expert

15 Nov 2004

Cancer in the arm
My friend is concerned and i would like you to give us some answers to put her at rest:

She is 30 years old and otherwise very healthy except for slight overactive thyroid (on elthroxin) she has experienced a pain in the bone of her right arm since childhood. This happens mainly on a cold or rainy day. Sometimes also in the left one. She thinks she might have cancer and the only way to put her mind at ease is going to be to do tests but we dont know where to start or take her. Should we see a GP/Specialist? the GP says it is nothing not much help. Her right hand also gets pins and needles and goes dead often while she sleeps. Could we take her to the local hospital for an xray of her arm as she is convinved there will be a tumour? can one do an xray of the arm? and more importantly : Is there such thing as cancer of the arm and what are other symptoms, prognosis, is it common/hereditary etc... any other disease it could be perhaps besides cancer
Answer 407 views

01 Jan 0001

Hilda, the best person to see would be an orthopaedic surgeon. He will take x-rays and do further tests like a scan if necessary. He will also check her neck and shoulder as this is where it sounds like the problem is from this side of the screen. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.