Ask an expert

27 Nov 2004

Pleeez Doctor.....I have once been diag. with ME (about 15 years ago) and more recently my GP said FIBROMALGIA. I have got by this long, long painful time but suddenly it is much much worse. My Dr gave me a cortisone inj. and tabs for 3 days about 3 months ago but said she cannot give it 'often' whatever that means. I am not depressed, believe it or not I am a motivator!! But the pain!! I can't take anti inflams cos my tum. I've tried the antidep. route. Every now and again when I go mad I take a Synap Forte which breaks the day!! But what really gets to me is that my family don't understand and think I'm putting it on. I cant explain the pain and burning in my feet and hands, every muscle aches, I have osteo arth. and I'm so tired...simply have to lie down for broken spells during every day. I am elderly but a young elderly!! I'm full of beans and I write and garden and read and sew but I just can't 'get about'. To go to the shops over the road leaves me exhausted. The people in the complex say things like 'You walked fine yesterday so now what?' They make me feel like a fraud but why should I be? I WANT to do things, I have so much to do before I 'go!' I know there's a whole lot of stuff about this..ME CFS FIBRO or whatever.....I don't care about a name for it........the cortisone helped but my face and body blew up.....but it has bad side effects, ie thiin bones (so far so good!) My kidneys dont work too well ag doc, I Hate being like this........and I look good too!!! I mean I look WELL!!! which is why folk don't believe the pain I go thru all day every day. I sometimes take Lexotan (3mg) at night because in the morning I feel a little better. Odd, hey? Have there been any further developments in this condition aside from all the pooh poohs....if they only knew!! Thank you.Sorry I'm 'wordy'.........M
Answer 407 views

01 Jan 0001

Meggie, fibromyalgia is a real disease and the fact that members of your family don’t believe that it is, won’t make it go away. The best would be to see a specialist physician and have him make sure that nothing else is the matter. If you live in or around Pretoria I can refer you to someone, but otherwise the best would be to ask your GP. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9471 votes
68% - 20281 votes