Ask an expert

19 Jan 2004

Chronic Medication
My mother is 62 years old. She has been told she has to take Fosamax for her osteoporosis and numberous other chronic medications. She goes to a general hospital for her check-ups and is able to get some of her medicines from them, but some of the medicine they say they cannot get for, like the Fosamax. One tablet costs R295 and she takes one a week!! Her GP says she HAS to take Fosamax! Please help, this is a long term thing - where can a pensioner go to get chronic medication as the general hospitals claim not to stock certain items.
Answer 398 views

01 Jan 0001

Demi, the best would be to ask your GP to contact the pharmaceutical company that makes Fosamax® and ask them if they won’t give her a special price (they often do). Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9380 votes
67% - 19435 votes