Ask an expert

11 Jan 2005

Chronic Medication... is it neccessary?
Dear Doc,
I am just puzzled at how one is put onto Cronic Medication (Cozaar Comp) for "the rest of ones life'/..... by taking 1 BP reading sitting on the edge of the examination table. This is very worrying!
I also wanted my hormones tested as i suffer from hot flushes. I was told not to waste money as 55 was Menopausal years, Estrofem was prescribed, and this made my flushes 10x worse.... I feel totally disallusioned and frankly ripped off.... the expense is horrific ... not on medical aid. What if I am on this med and really dont need to be?..................
I ran out of my first months script, and was with out it for about 9 days... went toi a clinic for a BP check.... it was totally normal!
NOW what do I do ?????
I do need to look at my health situation as I have symptoms in my legs of extreme burning in certain areas, and also, how do I find out if this is an artery problem. (PAD)
Please help me in the right direction!
Many thanks!
Answer 414 views

01 Jan 0001

HF, I suppose it depends on how high your blood pressure was, but usually we take a patient’s blood pressure a couple of times before prescribing something (Cozaar® Comp isn’t a bad choice).
I suppose one can make the diagnosis of being perimenopausal on history alone, but doing a blood test first to prove it is acceptable in spite of the costs involved. The problem is that on the one hand you complain about costs and on the other you want more tests done – it’s confusing to say the least.
If you decide to not take the blood pressure tablets anymore it’s fine as long as you have your blood pressure taken every two weeks to make sure that it doesn’t go up again.
The burning in your legs may be due to an arterial problem, diabetes, a back problem, inflammation, infection, thrombosis, etc. Finding the cause will require more tests and money so maybe the best would be to see a specialist physician. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.