Ask an expert

01 Dec 2012

Hi There, I have had colon problems my whole life (due to a colon operation at birth). I get severe abdominal cramps, my stomach twists and I have adhesion problems around the colon as well  to the extend that nothing relieves the pain and I have been admitted to hospital for morphine on several occasions. When these cramps start, it lasts between 12 - 24 hours and is accompanied by vomiting, fever, occasionally blood in stool and of course dehydration. Could you please offer advise as who which specialist I ca go see who could best assist me with my colon problems? I am based in KZN, upper highway, however I would gladly travel to wherever the best person is to help me.
Answer 277 views

01 Jan 0001


You will have to consult a gastro-intestinal specialist. I think the main cause for your problems are due to fibrosis between the colon, causing entrapment and severe cramps. The specialist will most likely try to remove the adhesions and hopefully this will solve your problems. Unfortunately, I am situated in Cape Town and therefore, suggest that you contact your nearest private hospital for the details of a gastro-intestinal specialist.


Dr Anrich
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.