Ask an expert

19 Oct 2009

Constant Coughing
My Dad is 51 years old and a smoker. He has a very bad cough at night. He barely sleeps, it' s that bad and this has been going on for plus minus two years or so. No cough mixture seems to help

The colour of the phlem that comes out is see-through

I am getting worried now. Should he see a lung specialist?
Answer 402 views

01 Jan 0001

Hallo Anon
No, I think he can just see your GP - he needs at least a chest x/ray and the doctor needs to listen to his chest. He may be developing emphysema due to the smoking.
Dr Bets
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9369 votes
67% - 19367 votes