Ask an expert

10 Jan 2005

Contraceptive Pill
Hi Doctor
I have recently started using the Minesse contraceptive pill (I had been using triphasil before for about 4 years). My doctor prescribed Minesse to me for 3 months after which I could return for another consult and he would then give me another script.
My question is, do I have to go this route or can I go to any pharmacy and get Minesse over the counter? I have not had any problems since using Minesse and feel it is a waste of money to pay for another consult.
Also, could I ask the pharmacist for a generic version?

Thank you!
Answer 472 views

01 Jan 0001

Jane, you need a prescription to get it but your doctor can write you a six month’s script at a time. There is no reason to see him more than once or twice a year. You can ask him for a six month’s script with your next visit. If he refuses it is time to find a more honest GP. If he gives a reason run it past me before accusing him of being money hungry. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9364 votes
67% - 19336 votes