Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
20 Dec 2004
WHAT IS THE FASTEST WAY OF CURING A COLD... NEED SOMETHING THAT WOULD HELP ME GET RID OF IT, QUICKLY, HATE THE FEELING....
TI, a cold is caused by a virus and there is no real treatment yet and all one can do is to try ant treat the symptoms. A warm comfortable environment and rest at home is indicated for those with fever and/or acute symptoms. Warm chicken soup and all the other traditional remedies do not cure the disease, but they do make one feel better. Aspirin, antihistamines (works only for allergic people), high doses of vitamin C and antibiotics (only work for bacterial infections, not viruses) are not recommended. Nasal decongestants may be of value. Steam inhalations mobilize secretions and help relieve chest tightness. The same goes for a mucolytic expectorant cough mixture like Bisolvon Linctus DA® or Adco-linctopent®. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Covid-19: Does exercising really reduce the risk?
- Is it the vaccine technology, used by AstraZeneca and J&J, causing blood clots? No evidence yet
- Efforts to reduce coronavirus spread should focus on airborne transmission, not surfaces
- Psychologists find a key reason for 'Zoom fatigue' and why women are more susceptible
- How Taiwan beat Covid-19 – new study reveals clues to its success
- Cape Town fire: UCT working on urgent safety plan to prevent future fire hazards
- Cape Town fire: Did 'heritage' trees and 'ember attacks' outsmart SANParks' fire preparation?
- Gwede Mantashe, Thandi Modise not keen on parliamentary oversight committee on Presidency
- 'I was fulfilling a higher purpose' - Rabbi saves Torah from burning UCT building
- Did Tokyo Sexwale fall for a global conspiracy theory?
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9436 votes
68% - 20004 votes