Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
14 Nov 2004
Degenerative Back Disease
I have been diagnosed with degenerative spinal disease in my lumbar spine. Have severe herniation of all disks L1-S1. Also suffering from acute and chronic pain in right leg. Possible nerve root damage to right leg nerves, no reflexes in right leg. According to all research spinal fusion for so many vertebrae is a bad idea. True or false? Is there a moderate form of surgical repair except fusion? Am only 28 and would like to have a family one day. Any advice?
Pika, it might be a bad idea, but it doesn’t sounds like you have much of a choice here. If it is just due to intervertebral disc degeneration, there are operations available to just replace the discs, but if the whole vertebra is affected you have serious trouble. The best would be to see a good neurosurgeon and get his opinion. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Why South Africa stopped making vaccines
- Covid-19 causing strokes among young and healthy adults, global study finds
- Why we remember more by reading – especially print – than from audio or video
- No evidence yet that alcohol interferes with Covid-19 vaccines, but go slow on the drinks to be safe
- Cloth masks can be as effective as surgical masks against Covid-19, new study reports
- Appeasing Hitler didn't work, and it won't work with Magashule, says ANC stalwart Mavuso Msimang
- ‘It was a lot’ – Professor Karim tells us why he’s leaving us
- US wants to be global leader in ensuring vaccine access, its SA representative says
- 'Disrespected' Mpofu lays unprofessional conduct complaint against advocate he told to shut up
- Storming Stravino always wanted to be a Bull: 'WP's wingers get lost too often'
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9465 votes
68% - 20202 votes