Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
15 Jan 2013
Morning doctor, hopefully you can shed some light on this issue for me. I had a Hernia repair surgery done about 10 weeks ago because of recurring lung infections and chronic heartburn. Eversince the surgery I cannot eat properly - almost everything I eat gets stuck right below my rib area. It is so bad that I cant then even swallow my siliva when that happens. Eventually it will come up instead of down. It is extremely painful and embarrising at times and effects my daily life.. I have my second follow-up appointment this week to hear what my doctor says. I also have some heartburn which is getting worse daily. Please give your opinion as I cant wait till I see my doc. Thanking you
It is obvious that the junction between the oesophagus and stomach has been surgically corrected, in order to prevent reflux of stomach content. Unfortunately, it is possible that due to fibrosis, the junction has become too small and hence the severe dispepsia. You will have to consult your doctor for a gastroscopy and examination. Your doctor will be able to stretch the area that has become too tight under anaesthesia. In the interim, eat small soft meals.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Want sculpted, stronger arms? Here's how to build them without weights
- Living with long Covid: ‘Eight months after being on a ventilator, I'm still not okay’
- Two-metre distance may not be enough to prevent Covid-19 virus transmission indoors
- Pregnant women in SA hospitalised with Covid-19 at high risk of severe illness, death - new study
- Give up carbs? Over my bread body!
- EXCLUSIVE | 'We can still do things': Top school's coach quits ahead of hearing for sneaking pupil out
- Zuma threatens criminal charges against Downer as legal battles over his medical records loom
- 'Pick your battles': McBride goes toe to toe with top cop Khehla Sitole
- Green groups say Xi's coal pledge should end plans for Chinese-built power plant in Limpopo
- Pieter du Toit | 'Tis the season to be whack: ANC talks 'trust', DA flirts with Cape 'independence'
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
30% - 9643 votes
70% - 22635 votes