Ask an expert

11 Jan 2005

Discharge in back of throat
A while back, while brushing my teeth, I noticed what looked like a small piece of white bread or something caught at the back of my mouth (on the righthand side 'panel' coming down from the back of my soft palate to behind my molars). I couldn't rinse or gargle it out, so I tried to flick it out with my finger. The pressure of my finger squeezed more of this firm, lumpy whitish stuff out from some kind of tube or pocket under the skin.

It's happened once or twice since - once with more of a thick mucous texture than firm lumps. There's no pain or swelling or anything else, I'm just curious as to what it might be.

Answer 345 views

01 Jan 0001

C, do you still have your tonsils? It sounds like it might be a tonsil abscess, but I suppose it might be any kind of abscess. Next time it happens see an ENT specialist and have it sorted out. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.