Ask an expert

17 Mar 2007

Dizzy spells at 80
I submitted my question to they gynae - how clever was that?!! My mother-in-law is 80 years old, and for a few weeks now has been experiencing some odd dizzy spells. She often loses her vision in these spells, which last about 30 seconds or so, and feels as though she's going to faint. She also says she sometimes has a ringing in her ears and a funny sensation down her arms. What could be causing this, and where should I take her to be checked out? Do I go to a GP or straight to a specialist?
Answer 270 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Catherine
Go to the GP first - he must look and see whether this is a brain thing or a heart thing. He can do basic examination and bloods if needed and refer her to the right specialist.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.