Ask an expert

21 Jul 2010

Drugged or Alcohol Poison?

I am a bit confused at the momemnt. Puerly just due to lack of info.

I had a bit of an incident over the weekend with one of my friends. I have joined him on Sunday afternoon at the Dross. There were already two other people there when I have arrived. After a while, the one layd and I went quickly to buy a few items at the Spar for our homes.

When we arrived back at the table at Dross, my friend were basically passed out. The natural thing would have been the impression he passed ot due to an oversose of liquor. But, I am not 100% sure about this.

We have tried to wake him up with no luck. At some stage he even crapped in his own pants.

I know my friend. This was totally not like hom. He can ussually handles his liquor. And if he are so drunk, he doesn''t pass out so easily either. That day that I have seen him he even haven''t drank so much that he had to pass out...

I eventually took him to a medical clinic close by. The people luckily helped me there to get him around back to normal again. They recon it was alcohol poison.

My question is - How can I know for sure that it was alcohol poison? Is there a way that I can tell or know that he was perhaps drugged? If a drug causes these type of symptoms, what sort of drug can it be? Or can alcohol really have such an effect on a person?

For some or other reason, the situation was a bit too odd for me.

Your help would greatly be appreciated. Even if it is just to keep me more peace of mind. I can see that my own friend was really imbarrashed by the whole situation.
Answer 445 views

01 Jan 0001

Hallo Wieletjies
It sounds very suspicious of a doctored/drugged drink. It usually takes quite a lot of alcohol and time for a person to become so drunk that he/she passes out. And they would have a terrible hangover the next day. The only way to check is to test urine for drugs within 24 hours of the episode,so it may be too late now.
Dr Bets
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9439 votes
68% - 20031 votes