Ask an expert

14 Jul 2008

Eyes feel like EGGS
Dear Cyberdoc -

I have had trouble sleeping for the past week due to severe, excruciating pain in my feels as if my eyes are 2 hardboiled eggs being squeezed..tighter and tighter. (To clarify, it's not really my EYES that are in pain, it's more the area aroung and behing my eyes and nose.)

This is MUCH worse when I lie down, hence the insomnia. Is this a sinus infection which would resolve within the next few days? Or is it brain cancer of something worse? Should I go for an MRI or something like that? Oh yes, since this morning I also have this very wet cough and my chest aches. (also short of breath and my heart does not feel rhythmic.)

Should I go to a doctor or not?
(I DETEST going through a physical examination! And I hate the smell of waiting rooms. I also do not like waiting.)

Thank you for your time, I saw you've got a LOT of questions to attend to, but I'm not really in a hurry...especially not if your verdict is going to be that I should make a doctor's appointment!!
Answer 437 views

01 Jan 0001

Hi Naked Nun
You do describe a possible sinus infection - and the fact that changing position makes it worse also points to this! If you don't have fever, and don't have thick yellow or green mucus, you could try the following first: Use drixine or illiadin nose spray twice a day. Wait about 15 min after putting this in , when your nose is open, sniff saltwater and blow out ( you must sniff it in just to about between your eyes, dont let it run down the back of your throat) Make the saltwater with lukewarm water - 1 cup and half a teaspoon of salt. Must taste like tears. Do this at least 3 times a day if possible. Drink Viral choice C one twice a day for 5 days. Use something like Myprodol or Mypaid for the pain. Avoid anything that dries up the nose.
BUT If the breathlessness or irregular pulse worsens, if you have fever, if the headache gets worse and you have a stiff neck or nausea, if your chest gets worse, SEE A DOCTOR...
Dr Bets
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9362 votes
67% - 19330 votes