Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
15 Jan 2004
Face gets red whenever I drink
I am an Indian male, aged 26. Whenever I drink alcohol my face always gets extremely red after a while. I am quite light skinned so it is particularly noticeable. Is there anything I can do to lessen this embarrasing effect. I only drink socially, but try and avoid it wherever possible due to this unpleasant effect. Would also like to know if this is indicative of any health problems, or do I have some kind of allergy to alcohol. I have been drinking since I was about 17 and my general health is good.
RF, I doubt that it is a true allergy, but it does sound like you are very sensitive to the vasodilating effects of alcohol. The best would be to avoid all alcohol and to treat it asif you were allergic to it.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Covid-19: A potentially deadly ‘black fungus’ infection seen in patients in India
- Your guide to side-effects: What you can expect after a Covid-19 jab
- WATCH | How face masks protect you against Covid-19
- Espresso, Americano, or decaf? Desire for a particular coffee driven by genetic code
- Some people in the US will take the Covid-19 vaccine if they're paid for it – but is this ethical?
- Mkhize's 3rd wave warning: 'He knows we will end up with trauma and suffering again'
- Steinhoff vows to 'vigorously defend' settlement proposal in wake of liquidation bid
- There is no basis 'to ask for a postponement of the elections' - IEC chair
- 20 years later: Pick n Pay’s failed retail pharmacy strategy
- Report shows how Covid-19 has changed the face of employment in SA
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9472 votes
68% - 20285 votes