Ask an expert

09 Aug 2010


I have a foreskin that''s swollen at the tip and I cannot pull it back to reveal my penis head. Also I have a lot of itching inside the skin on the penis head area but cannot pull the skin back to see why. When sex is involved or any friction it burns and the redness increases.

Can you perhaps tell me what and why this is and what I can do to prevent it. A doctor previously prescribed some antibiotics which did help to make it disaapear but it reccures.

Thank you.
Answer 434 views

01 Jan 0001

Hallo John
It sounds as if you may have a yeast infection of the foreskin - especially if you also experience small cracks. You may need to see your doctor for a prescription of antiyeast medication like Sporanox tablets, and you can use Canesten vaginal cream on the area. Your sex partner should be treated at the same time, as you may cross infect each other if only one is treated.
Dr Bets
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9425 votes
68% - 19886 votes