Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
15 Nov 2004
Frequent headaches - 13 year old
My 13 year old daughter has frequent headaches. I have had her eyes tested and I was told she is a little short sighted. Having glasses has not helped. A few months ago she had such a bad headache our doctor thought she had menengitis. This came back negagtive and he then said he thought it was a migraine. When she has a headache she is nausous (she often throws up), she complains that she is dizzy and the only thing that helps is to sleep in a dark room for about 4 hours. She has been getting them at least once every two weeks recently and just had an attack this morning. The problem is they come on so suddenly and I then have to get to school to get her home. I called my GP this morning who suggested I try something stronger for her headaches (I have not given her anything before) called Cataflam D. Please let me know what you think about it or should I have other tests done?
Lee, it sounds like migraine from this side of the screen and the best would be to take her to a neurologist or a paediatrician to have the diagnosis confirmed as it might of course be due to something more serious like a neurological problem or something like diabetes. If you’re interested in something i wrote on migraine you can mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Another coronavirus variant detected in SA, but no reason to panic, says KRISP director
- Do children and teens need to be vaccinated to get the Covid-19 pandemic under control?
- Scientists find over 100 harmful substances in plastic children’s toys
- Some employees hate team bonding activities, so they should be made entirely voluntary, say researchers
- Scientists find link between lower daily temperatures and higher rate of transmission of Covid-19
- Prof Shabir Madhi 'mortified' at decision on AstraZeneca vaccine, says it might expire
- Splitting up the pot: Steinhoff offers 5.5% payout to market purchase claimants to settle
- Glencore 'used relationship' with Ramaphosa to 'extort' Eskom, former CEO Brian Molefe claims
- Meet SA's youngest doctor, Thakgalo Thibela, 21
- Karyn Maughan | 'Our hands are tied' - JSC after calls for Hlophe's suspension over Bongo acquittal
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9369 votes
67% - 19367 votes