Ask an expert

29 Jun 2005

Please explain normal terms what a ganglion, why it appears in some people and if not surgery how does it normally go away without like some people say bang it hard ?? Excuse me but if a foreign object is inside u why would u want to injure it more??

Answer 328 views

01 Jan 0001

Concerned, a ganglion is a fluid filled sack bulging from a joint between the bones of the hand and/or wrist. The fluid is the sinovial fluid that acts as a lubricant inside the joint. You can leave it until it’s the size of a baseball and it still won’t be detrimental to your health as long as it doesn’t cause problems by pressing on nerves. The operation to remove it will of course also take longer and be more painful the longer you leave it. The skin will have stretched and that will have to be removed. An alternative remedy is to remove the contents with a needle and syringe and then to inject it with a corticosteroid. An older alternative is do what they did two hundred years ago - hit it with the family bible so that it bursts! This is really what they did and it seemed to work quite well. The best thing if to have it attended to before it gets any bigger because if the skin stretches to much it will leave an ugly mark. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9464 votes
68% - 20197 votes