Ask an expert

20 Jul 2010

Garlic Allergy?
I am not sure if I have an intolerance/allergy to garlic. I have had severe abdominal pain after eating garlic. The pain subsided after taking antihitamines. The only thing is I am not sure if it is if I eat large quatities of it or if depends on how well it is cooked because there have been times when I am not affected. I also get abdominal pain from cooked/fried onions. Last night I had a different reaction. There was 2 teaspoons of garlic in the stew I ate last night (I was not aware of this at the time) and shortly after eating I started feeling my face become hot almost like I had a high temperature. My whole body began to feel hot and my face was red. My mouth and throat started to swell. I did not have any abdominal pain. The only other thing in the stew was a lot of onions and safron. I try to stay away from garlic as much as possible but it is very difficult. Do you think I am allergic to garlic?
Answer 359 views

01 Jan 0001

Hallo Lila
You may be allergic to garlic - let your GP find out from your local lab if they can test you for it? (There are blood tests for certain foods - it depends if the lab keeps the kits)
Dr Bets
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.