Ask an expert
Question

08 Dec 2004

garlic sensitivity
Some months back my 12 year old son got very bad food poisoning from eating a garlic sauce from a hot dog stand. He was hospitalized. Subsequently if he eats food with garlic it makes him nauseous and has a lot of discomfort. Is this normal to develop a sensitivity like this?
Answer 370 views
Expert
CyberDoc
CyberDoc

01 Jan 0001

Mom, it might be due to sensitisation or just due to the memory of the incident. You can rub a little garlic on the inside of his and your arms and wait for 10 minutes or so. If he starts itching take it off immediately, but otherwise compare the reactions. If his isn’t any worse than yours, it probably isn’t a true allergy. This isn’t a foolproof method, but it will give you an idea. You will have to have blood taken for a definite answer. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Yes
33% - 9360 votes
No
67% - 19292 votes
Vote