Ask an expert

21 Jul 2008

Doc please advise....
Everytime my hubby over-indulges a bit too much on alcohol (I mean having a couple of drinks more than usual), he suffers from severe gastro and abdominal cramps for about 2 days. Gurgling noises come from his tummy, followed by pain and gastro (normal in colour). He does not want to go to the doc, cos he hates it.
I got him some Buscopan and Immodium, which he took over the weekend. The runny tummy has stopped, but he still has some pain in his tummy. I' ve just been to the chemist now to get him some Interflora, just to restore his intestinal balance.
What could be the cause of this?
Should he seek medical attention?

Answer 497 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear CE
Alcohol can cause inflammation of your stomach lining (gastritis), leading to nausea, vomiting and stomach pain due to the chemical irritation and because it stimulates acid production. Some people are more sensitive than others. The diarrhoea happens because alcohol causes your small bowel to absorb less water and propel its contents along more quickly.
He should really try not to drink excessively and to always eat something fatty before taking a drink as this will delay the movement of the alcohol through the bowel.
You can try Mucaine for the stomach ache, and Kaopektin for the runny tummy.
Dr Bets
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9380 votes
67% - 19458 votes