Ask an expert

12 Jul 2010

Genital exam
I had a genital exam by our family doc, who is a woman. I got a full erection, and am now too embarrassed to go back to wife says that it probably happens all the time and the doc would be used to such things. Anyway my question is, does this happen often, and should I seek a male doctor in stead
Answer 528 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Anon
You don't need to look for a male doctor, unless you will feel more comfortable with this specific problem seeing a male doctor, and I am sure your family doctor will understand this 100%. We don't easily get embarrassed by things like this as we look at it from a clinical and professional viewpoint. It could have been useful clinical information as it indicated to her that the blood circulation in the genitals is working correctly.
I am sure if you discuss it with her (take your wife with for moral support) she will understand if you ask for a referral to a male doctor or urologist
dr Bets
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.