Ask an expert

04 Aug 2008

Glands in armpits
Good day, Doc

I' ve started noticing lumps under my armpits and eventually it got so uncomfortable that I visited my GP. He suggested that it might be due to shaving, made an incision, drain it and gave me anitbiotics. In the meantime I change my blade regularly and even switch to a deodorant with a lower alluminium level.

However it re-appereared and now both my underarms is affected. My wife watched the Dr.Phil show last week, and they discussed a similar case like mine. The topic of discussion was the virus called MRSA, are you at all familiar with this virus. What should I do, the lumps is really uncomfortable and it sometimes hurts.

Answer 354 views

01 Jan 0001

Hallo Igshaan
Staph aureus is a bacteria that lives on the skin. MRSA is methillen resistant staph aureus and we do get it in some patient but it will usually cause boils all over the body. You may have hidradenitis see
This can be treated by local antibiotics or oral antibiotics treatment - discuss with your doctor. If boils develop it needs to be drained. If it is really bad, they can remove the affected glands totally.
Dr Bets
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.