Ask an expert

06 Aug 2007

Haemroids - I have it... now what? HELP!
I'm a 27 year old male and have haemroids.

1. Can someone tell me whether an op is mandatory or is there medication that can reduce it/ get rid of it?

2. What sort of "specialists" can I go to, to check it out? What are they called? And whats their rates like just to check it out?

3. As well, wat about operating? How long is the op (average) and what is the average time that people get back to work/normal?

I've been suffering with it for at least the past 4 years. It got bad last week where there was literally a thick, big "cyst" between my crack and I could not sit down properly. Its gone down after almost a week but its still a little there (and slightly uncomfortable).

Any HELP/ADVISE is apprecaited. Links are also appreciated for information.
Answer 604 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Haemroids Guy
Medication makes it better and smaller but only an operation can remove it if it is a big hemorroid. A hemorroid is actually a "varicose vein" around the anus.
You can visit a surgeon or gastroenterologist - rates will differ from hospital to hospital
It depends on what they do when they operate , they can cut it out, cauterize it, bind it off or laser it - the options you need to discuss with the doctor.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.