Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
18 Nov 2004
Hepatitis / Jaundice?
I've searched this site for "yellow jaundice". All I could find was jaundice in newborns, is it possible for a young adult male to have jaundice? It is a co-worker, at first we thought he had tick fever, he complained bout backacke and vomiting & runny tummy, hot & cold fevers. He drank a lot of water and very sleepy, he can't keep his eyes open, so to speak. His parents (he still lives with his parents & works for them) didn't take him to see a doctor until today (±2 weeks). According to them he has hepatitis or jaundice, they're awaiting the blood tests. How contagious is this? He works in a butchery so therefor he works with meat and needless to say don't wear gloves. I have small children and am worried that I can somehow pass this onto them? Do I have a reason to be so worried?
Ronel, it sounds like he has hepatitis A – a very contagious disease if strict hygiene isn’t maintained (he shouldn’t be working with meat). It is seldom deadly, but it can make you very ill. Let me know if you have more questions. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Is it the vaccine technology, used by AstraZeneca and J&J, causing blood clots? No evidence yet
- OPINION | Change your diet to change your cancer risk
- Lockdowns can reduce the severity of Covid-19 epidemics – and genetic evidence proves it
- How to actually fix a lost voice, according to science (hint: lemon and honey doesn’t work)
- How to make sense of nutrition labels
- Killing Kinnear: Secret report reveals infighting contributed to cop's death
- Karyn Maughan | Mogoeng, Malema and the judges: Inside the JSC hearings that shook the judiciary
- New African Bank CEO is 'back to complete the unfinished business of transformation in SA banking'
- 'Julius Malema should be removed from JSC': 6 questions with Casac's Lawson Naidoo
- Ramaphosa on Mantashe cadre deployment comments: 'I will answer at the Zondo Commission'
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9433 votes
68% - 19974 votes