Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
07 Dec 2004
How does increase metabolism affect cell reproduction?
I have a question: How does stimulating your metabolism affect the cells in your body? Say for example that there might be a destructive/cancerous cell somewhere in the body - If the metabolism is increased - using a stimulant - which in turn affects the thiroid gland - could this cells have the potential to grow faster? In other words would inceasing metobolic rate increase cells turnover time in all tissues including cancers?
Raven, it is a little more complex than that. First of all you will have to ake enough thyroid hormone to override the negative feedback. In other words, the body will switch off its own production as soon as you start taking thyroid hormone. Another thing to consider is that both bad and good cells will be stimulated. Cancer cells are abnormal and often don’t “listen” to the body anymore and might not even respond to an increase in thyroid hormone. If you have more questions please post them as a new question to ensure that I receive it. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Covid-19: A potentially deadly ‘black fungus’ infection seen in patients in India
- Your guide to side-effects: What you can expect after a Covid-19 jab
- Mounting evidence suggests Covid-19 vaccines do reduce transmission. How does this work?
- Espresso, Americano, or decaf? Desire for a particular coffee driven by genetic code
- Long Covid: How rehabilitation programmes may be needed to get patients back on track
- THE ESKOM FILES | WaBenzi and a house on Jamaican Music Street: Eskom exec's charmed life
- Magashule attempt to suspend Ramaphosa: 'People from other countries were calling' - Duarte
- Atul Gupta says Home Affairs records show no legal reasons for passport denial
- Nolwandle Mthombeni | We'd be a lot better off if social issues were as important as profit
- Talks with investors will reduce Rebosis' debt levels significantly - Sisa Ngebulana
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9472 votes
68% - 20283 votes