Ask an expert
Search expert health advice:
Browse by expert
- Allergy expert
- Anti-ageing expert
- Arthritis expert
- Breast cancer expert
- Cancer expert
- Oral health expert
- Diabetes expert
- EnviroHealth expert
- Family law expert
- Fertility expert
- Flu expert
- Headache expert
- Healthy Bones
- Hearing Expert
- Hypertension expert
- Incontinence Expert
- Labour lawyer
- Meditation Expert
07 Dec 2004
How does increase metabolism affect cell reproduction?
I have a question: How does stimulating your metabolism affect the cells in your body? Say for example that there might be a destructive/cancerous cell somewhere in the body - If the metabolism is increased - using a stimulant - which in turn affects the thiroid gland - could this cells have the potential to grow faster? In other words would inceasing metobolic rate increase cells turnover time in all tissues including cancers?
Raven, it is a little more complex than that. First of all you will have to ake enough thyroid hormone to override the negative feedback. In other words, the body will switch off its own production as soon as you start taking thyroid hormone. Another thing to consider is that both bad and good cells will be stimulated. Cancer cells are abnormal and often don’t “listen” to the body anymore and might not even respond to an increase in thyroid hormone. If you have more questions please post them as a new question to ensure that I receive it. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
- Is it the vaccine technology, used by AstraZeneca and J&J, causing blood clots? No evidence yet
- OPINION | Change your diet to change your cancer risk
- Lockdowns can reduce the severity of Covid-19 epidemics – and genetic evidence proves it
- How to actually fix a lost voice, according to science (hint: lemon and honey doesn’t work)
- Covid-19 patients have a higher risk of in-hospital morbidity and mortality after surgery
- Killing Kinnear: Secret report reveals infighting contributed to cop's death
- Karyn Maughan | Mogoeng, Malema and the judges: Inside the JSC hearings that shook the judiciary
- New African Bank CEO is 'back to complete the unfinished business of transformation in SA banking'
- 'Julius Malema should be removed from JSC': 6 questions with Casac's Lawson Naidoo
- Ramaphosa on Mantashe cadre deployment comments: 'I will answer at the Zondo Commission'
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
32% - 9433 votes
68% - 19971 votes