Ask an expert

05 Feb 2004

I have recently been dignosed with hyper-thyroidism. I have had a sonar and all the relevant blood checks and there are no nodes, nor is anything wrong with my pituitary or with my anti-bodies. It is just the thyroid itself which is busy committing suicide! My doctor has now referred me to a surgeon as the only other option. I have read that there is medication to supress the thyroid. Any advice?
Answer 370 views

01 Jan 0001

Tania, it all depends on how old you are. If you’re still young and you want to have children, the best would be to opt for the surgery. If you’re past your child-bearing years, drugs would be an option. The surgeon will discuss this with you, so don’t worry. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9362 votes
67% - 19326 votes